Health Select Committee, 2018 - Present
Science and Technology Select Committee, 2015-17
The committees, to which MPs are elected by their peers at the start of the new parliament, exists to ensure that Government policy and decision-making is based on expertise advice and evidence. Derek is an active member of the Health Select Committee. The cross-party committee, which comprises 11 MPs under the chairmanship of Dr Sarah Wollaston, MP for Totnes, examines the policy, administration and expenditure of the Department of Health and its associated bodies. Although rarely used, the Committee has the power to insist upon the attendance of witnesses and the production of papers and other material.
All Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs):
All-Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs) are informal, cross-party groups formed by MPs and Members of the House of Lords who share a common interest in a particular policy area, region or country.
While they are not official parliamentary committees these groups can sometimes be influential because of their non-partisan, bicameral approach to an issue.
Office holder for:
- Chair, Vascular and Venous Disease Group, 2017-
- Chair, Brain Tumours Group, 2017-
- Treasurer, Fuel Poverty and Energy Efficiency Group, 2017-
- Officer, Home Electrical Safety Group, 2017
- Secretary, Healthy Homes and Buildings Group 2017,
- Treasurer, South West Rail Group 2017
- Chair of the Diabetes Think Tank
To view Derek's activity in Parliament, including speeches and voting in parliament, please click here.