Derek was first elected as Member of Parliament for the constituency of West Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly (St Ives) in the 2015 General Election, becoming the first Conservative MP for the area since 1997. He was re-elected in 2017. Derek is not currently an MP as Parliament has been dissolved for the duration of the General Election.
Derek's work in Parliament 2015-2019
Environmental Audit Committee, 2019
Work and Pensions Select Committee, 2018 - 2019
Health Select Committee, 2018 - 2019
Science and Technology Select Committee, 2015-17
The committees, to which MPs are elected by their peers at the start of the new parliament, exists to ensure that Government policy and decision-making is based on expertise advice and evidence. Derek is an active member of both the Work and Pensions Select Committee and the Environmental Audit Committee. The cross-party committees are chaired by the Rt Hon Frank Field MP and Mary Creagh MP respectively. The Work and Pensions Select Committee examines the policy, administration, and expenditure of the Department for Work and Pensions. The Environmental Audit Committee cuts across government departments and exists to consider whether the policies and programmes of government departments and public bodies contribute to environmental protection and sustainable development.
All Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs):
All-Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs) are cross-party groups formed by MPs and Members of the House of Lords who share a common interest in a particular policy area, region or country.
While they are not official parliamentary committees these groups can be influential because of their non-partisan, bicameral approach to an issue.
Office holder for:
- Chair, Axial Spondyloarthritis , 2019
- Chair, Vascular and Venous Disease Group, 2017-2019
- Chair, Brain Tumours Group , 2017- 2019
- Vice Chair, Post Offices Group , 2018 - 2019
- Vice Chair, UK Islands Group , 2018 - 2019
- Vice Chair and Secretary, Home Electrical Safety Group , 2017- 2019
- Secretary, Healthy Homes and Buildings Group , 2017- 2019
- Treasurer, Fuel Poverty and Energy Efficiency Group , 2017- 2019
- Treasurer, South West Rail Group , 2017
- Member, Ocean Conservation Group , 2018- 2019
- Member of the Minimum Unit Pricing of Alcohol Group
- Member of the Great South West Alliance
To view Derek's activity in Parliament, including speeches and voting in parliament, please click here.