Derek was first elected as Member of Parliament for the constituency of West Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly (St Ives) in the 2015 General Election, becoming the first Conservative MP for the area since 1997. He was re-elected in 2017 and 2019.
Derek's work in Parliament 2015-2021
Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Select Committee 2020 - present
Environmental Audit Select Committee, 2019
Work and Pensions Select Committee, 2018 - 2019
Health and Social Care Select Committee, 2018 - 2019
Science and Technology Select Committee, 2015-17
The committees, to which MPs are elected by their peers at the start of the new parliament, exists to ensure that Government policy and decision-making is based on expert advice and evidence. Derek is an active member of the Environmental, Food and Rural Affairs Committee, which is chaired by Neil Harris MP. This cross-party committee exists to to scrutinise the administration, spending and policy of the Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
All Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs):
All-Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs) are cross-party groups formed by MPs and Members of the House of Lords who share a common interest in a particular policy area, region or country.
While they are not official parliamentary committees these groups can be influential because of their non-partisan, bicameral approach to an issue.
Office holder for:
- Chair, Brain Tumours Group
- Chair, Diabetes Group
- Vice Chair (Royal Navy and Royal Marines), Armed Forces Group
- Vice Chair, Post Offices Group
- Vice Chair, UK Islands Group
- Vice Chair, Online and Home Electrical Safety Group
- Vice Chair, Radiotherapy Group
- Vice Chair, Dying Well Group
- Secretary, Healthy Homes and Buildings
- Secretary, Ocean Conservation Group
- Officer, Adult Social Care Group
- Officer, Agroecology Group
- Officer, Axial Spondyloarthritis Group
- Officer, Celtic Sea Group
- Member of the Great South West Alliance
To view Derek's activity in Parliament, including speeches and voting in parliament, please click here.