Many congratulations to Boris Johnson on being elected leader of the Conservatives and the next British Prime Minister! Boris kindly responded to my questions and I’ve taken just a fraction of his responses to each topic to set out how I hope things will pan out.
I hope that Boris will make a success of Brexit, defining a new relationship of co-operation and trade with the EU and providing much needed certainty for businesses.
However, there are many, many things that people are interested other than Brexit and I look forward to working on these issues alongside our new Prime Minister including:
- A green economy - improving our air quality and reaching net zero emissions as soon as possible.
- Making sure that every child achieves their full potential with much needed extra funding for schools.
- Working to champion small business, including by delivering universal fibre by 2025.
- Recognising how important it is to work with local authority leaders to deliver the homes and investment we need.
- Raising police funding and increasing numbers and presence of officers.
- Ensuring that the £394m a week that Theresa May pledged for the NHS reaches the front lines.
I attended a meeting of the Parliamentary Party this afternoon and Boris spoke with clarity, conviction, compassion and enthusiasm and I do believe he has a positive message that will help us to rediscover a self-confidence in Great Britain.